1. Pick the two highest capitals.
C. Andorra La Vella
E. Addis Abeba
2. Early morning in Pang tent camp at 4510 meters , enroute to Leh. You wake up and realise that your friend is pale … and has stopped breathing !
Vital things to do within the first minute :
A. Start mouth-to-mouth breathing , and send runner to the army first aid post for oxygen.
B. Check level of consciousness , if neccessary with pain stimulation ( hard rub against sternum , sharp pressure against fingers ). If awakening , instruct to breathe deeply , and drink one liter of water.
C. Full CPR , two breaths , thirty heart compressions cycle. Eight mg dexamethason under the tongue.
D. Use watch/phone to measure heart rate during twenty seconds
E. Azetacolamide , if possible intravenously , high flow oxygen , evac to lower altitude
3.Your friend is back among living , looking a bit suprised at the emotionally charged atmosphere . What just happened ?
A. He became unconscious from hypoxia.
B. He had a cerebral edema .
C. He was breathing too much.
D. He had a allergic butter tea reaction.
E. He had low blood pressure from dehydration , and passed out while sleeping.
4. Pick the two lowest capitals.
C. Sanaa , Yemen
D. Ulan Bator , Mongolia
E. Dodoma , Tanzania
A. One minute
B. Fifteen minutes
C. One hour
D. Eight hours
E. One day
6. The worlds highest road tunnel is found in
D. United States
A. thirty minutes
B. one hour
C. four hours
D. eight hours
E. one day
8. The mortality rate among climbers going beyond Everest Base Camp is circa :
A. 1 %
B. 3 %
C. 8 %
D. 15 %
E. 21 %
9. Sherpa mortality on climbing expeditions is
A. same as climbers
11. Five fellow passengers on the plane to Lhasa from Kathmandu.Who is least likely to develop altitude sickness ?
A. Fiftyfive year old impatient academic , who stopped eight hours in Kathmandu to see Boudnath after the flight from the US. Slightly overweight.
B. Annoying Indian Nintendo wielding five year old that kicks the back of your seat durin the whole flight.
C. The twenty-eight year old mother of the same .
D. Long distance runner , twenty one years old, fresh from one weeks training in Goa.
D. Newari trader from Pokhara.
12. Who is the most likely to develop altitude sickness ?
Boyle´s Law ( Robert Boyle , Irish scientist 1627-1691 ) is directly related to the medical condition known as :
14.Which of these alternative/traditional remedies have a proven effect against altitude sickness ?
A. Soroche Pills (Andes)
B. High water intake
C. Coca ( Andes )
D. Hong Jian Tin/Rhodiola
E. None of the above