Big buzz in the news about the Srinagar-Leh road opening today , which on a closer look proved to be a dud :
* the official road marker on web , leh.nic.in , still shows the road as closed.
* a news story quotes police both in Kargil and Srinagar denying that the road has opened
* Border Roads Organisation , who are in charge of clearing the road says ““It has been snowing in Sonamarg, Baltal and the Zojilla pass area since yesterday (Monday) evening and it is likely that the opening of the Srinagar-Leh highway would now be delayed for some time more”.
““All we said was that the snow clearance operation was in full swing in the Zojilla Pass area of the road. The road is likely to be thrown open for two-way traffic by April 20 and as of now, it remains closed,”
* other news stories talks of fresh snowfall on Monday triggering avalanches
* weather today : rain in Srinagar and Gulmarg , expected to turn in to snow at higher locations. Think slush avalanches.
UPDATE : SASE , the Snow and Avalanche Study Establishment , issues low level avalanche warning for Kargil district on the 31st.